In 1899 August Horch opened his own small motor-vehicle repair workshop in Cologne, building his first car in 1901. In 1902 he moved his company to Reichenbach in the Vogtland region of Germany, then again two years later to the Horch Werke’s final location in Zwickau.
The second car factory
In 1909 differences of opinion led to August Horch left the company he had founded. Only a few weeks later he had established a second car factory. This was named Audi, in 1910 – a Latin translation of his own name. Horch retired as Chairman from the Audiwerke AG’s Board of Management in 1920, and began to pursue a career as expert consultant and assessor in automotive engineering matters. When the new Auto Union AG company was formed in June 1932, he was invited to join its Supervisory Board. August Horch died on February 3, 1951 in Münchberg, Upper Franconia.